Thursday, January 11, 2018

Remembering Mike Smith

Dr. Michael O. Smith, legendary healer and teacher, passed away on December 24, 2017.  He was a doctor who transformed the treatment of addiction, pioneering the use of the 5-point ear detoxification protocol -- the NADA protocol -- at a time when American medicine was completely hostile to acupuncture and all things "foreign."  He once said of ear acupuncture, "It calms people enough that they can go to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting and listen."  He had a profound understanding that addiction was spiritual, psychological and physical, and he opened the doors to treating all three.

The site for this adventure was popularly known as "Lincoln Acupuncture," or "Lincoln Detox," a wonderful free-standing building that belonged to Lincoln Hospital.  Mike and colleagues had taken it over, first for methadone then for acupuncture.  They squatted the building through some freezing winters and broiling summers, gradually winning acceptance and heat.  The big room, filled with chairs, welcomed hundreds of people daily.  Upstairs, people gathered for NA and AA meetings, making twelve-step an essential adjunct to treatment.

I learned acupuncture from Mike in 1982, and became an avid proponent of the treatment.  He believed that one learned about treatment by getting treatment.  I was a young, overworked doctor and mother, and as soon as he would put a needle in me, I would fall asleep.  He said, "Sleep.  You are still learning."  He was the most comforting person

He gave life advice, too.  After my divorce, two of my children were living with my ex, seeing me for vacations.  I was distraught about this.  He was living with a similar situation.  He said, "When you see your children, think of it as a date.  Show them a wonderful time!"  Even when my children were living with me again, I kept the idea that our life together was a date -- it made it so delightful!

Mike changed American medicine, and changed me.  I dedicated my book, House of Joshua, to him.  I am so grateful to have known this courageous, inventive, and dedicated man.


No comments: