Sunday, March 28, 2010

Upcoming visit to Syracuse

My Main Street Project will take me to Syracuse for meetings April 14th and 15th. I have been to Syracuse several times at the invitation of various members of the faculty at Syracuse University. Professor Sandy Lane (author of "Why are our babies dying?") hosted my visit after the publication of my book Root Shock: How Tearing Up City Neighborhoods Hurts America and What We Can Do About It. That was a great pleasure as I got to tour the neighborhoods and meet many good people working on behalf of their city. Then and on later visits I learned that Syracuse's downtown is challenged by the sundering of the connections to the nearby neighborhoods. This is a problem which can be found in many American cities, including Charlotte, NC, and Roanoke, VA. I am looking forward to meeting with various groups, and learning more about the ways in which Syracuse University is connecting with the city for mutual benefit. Syracuse is a great and noble American city and it is a delight to visit.

No comments: